Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Headboard DIY Project & Resolutions

So, a couple of my resolutions this year are to blog more (of course) and to blog
a DIY project at least once a month. Here is our first DIY project blog post.

I've been wanting to make a fabric covered headboard for a long while now,
but with everything else we've done to our home, work, new baby etc. etc.
there just hasn't been much time for extra projects. So we made plans back in
the fall to make this headboard over the holidays.

I found this tutorial on Design Sponge.
Two bonuses to this tutorial - One. it has a pattern & Two. I LOVE the pattern!
The pattern is made for a queen so Adam made some adjustments for our King.

I drafted the pattern on some old pattern paper I had left over from college.
Then, I pinned it up behind our bed to make sure we liked the height & look.

Adam then cut it out of 3/4" ply wood. I have to admit, I'm pretty lucky to have
such a handy husband who humors my crazy ideas.

We used the ply wood to trace out the foam. We used two layers of egg crate
mattress toppers for the padding. If we do this again (which is likely) we'll use
the 2" foam that you can get in 24" wide strips.
See if you can spy our little helper?

Next we stapled batting (the kind for quilting) around the frame.

When we went to staple the canvas on we found that the angle at the top
was just too sharp. So, we added a little piece to smooth out the shape.
After adding the foam and batting we were able to get the canvas shaped
around easier.

Finished Product!

Cost:
Plywood for the Frame (Lows or Home Deopt) - $44
Foam (JoAnn Fabrics with 40% off coupon) - $60
Batting (JoAnn Fabrics) - $15
Canvas (Walmart ~ I got a drop cloth from the paining section) - $20
Miscl - Staples, Nails etc - $10
Total: $149

3 comments:

Michelle Cooper said...

That turned out wonderful! Great job Adam and Elaine!!

Miss Bon Mot said...

Oh wow; One day, I'm going to have more than five bucks to my name and I'm going to fly you out to do the design; love, love, love your style girl!

Melissa Gonzales said...

LOVE it!

Labels

Followers